(Manhattan, Kan., November 26, 2019) — The Manhattan Fire Department responded to a reported structure fire at the Flint Hills Job Corps Center, located 4620 Eureka Drive, on Saturday evening around 7:30 p.m. Upon arrival, crews found that thankfully the building was equipped with a fire sprinkler system that had extinguished the fire leaving $2500 in damage. Without the fire sprinkler system, the damage could have been much worse. The cause was found to be an unattended pan of grease catching fire on the stove, a fire cause that firefighters in Manhattan know all too well.
"The leading of cause of residential fires in Manhattan and across the nation continues to be from unattended cooking," said Manhattan Fire Chief Scott French. "It only takes a second to leave the kitchen to check on something in another room, and when you come back your stove and kitchen cabinets are on fire."
Thanksgiving is the day that has the highest number of home cooking fires nationally, followed by Christmas Day, with unattended cooking being the leading factor according to the National Fire Protection Agency.
The Manhattan Fire Department would like to remind you of the following holiday cooking safety:
- Stay in the kitchen while cooking. If you have to leave the room, set a timer in the room you are in to remind you to check back often.
- Keep combustibles such as oven mitts, food wrappers, and towels away from the cooking area.
- If a fire starts, shut off the appliance and cover the pan with the lid. If the fire occurs in the oven, do not open the oven door.
- Keep children away from the stove. Not only can the stove burn them, but splashes from hot liquids can also cause serious burns.
- Turkey fryers should only be used outside on a flat, non-combustible surface. Measure the oil correctly, completely thaw the turkey, and gently place the turkey into the fryer.
- Check the batteries in your smoke alarms. Smoke alarms older than 10 years should be replaced.