WASHINGTON (AP) —The State Department said in a statement Monday that they were removed Sunday night and that the group included murderers and rapists.
Last night, in a joint military operation with our allies from the United States, we transferred 17 extremely dangerous criminals linked to Tren de Aragua and MS-13.
— Nayib Bukele (@nayibbukele) March 31, 2025
All individuals are confirmed murderers and high-profile offenders, including six child rapists.
This operation… pic.twitter.com/Tk1Xq7vnuB
The statement didn’t give nationalities, but the office of El Salvador President Nayib Bukele said Salvadorans and Venezuelans were among the prisoners.
The men were transported to El Salvador’s maximum security prison, where they changed into the standard white T-shirts and shorts and had their heads shaved. Hundreds of migrants facing deportation were sent there earlier this month.