Jul 03, 2020 6:02 PM

Fireworks fire responsible for $100K damage to Kan. home

Posted Jul 03, 2020 6:02 PM
Crews on the scene of the Thursday night fire -photo courtesy WIBW TV
Crews on the scene of the Thursday night fire -photo courtesy WIBW TV

SHAWNEE COUNTY — Authorities say improper disposal of fireworks caused significant damage at a home.

Just after 11:30p.m. Thursday, fire crews responded to a fire at a home  at 301 SW Yorkshire Road, according to Fire Marshal Todd Harrison.

Upon arrival, fire crews found smoke and flames coming from the two-story residence. The occupants of the house were able to self-evacuate prior to the fire departments arrival.

A Topeka Fire Department Investigation’s Unit determined cause for the fire to be accidental, associated with the improper disposal of fireworks.

The estimated dollar loss is $100,000.00 including $50,000.00  associated with structural loss and $50,000.00 associated with contents loss, according to Harrison.

Working smoke detectors were located within the structure of fire origin.