PHILLIPS COUNTY - The cause of a car fire in Phillipsburg Thursday morning is under investigation.
An exploding vape pen is believed responsible for the fire in a Chevy Cobalt that occurred near the middle school in the 600 Block of 7th Street, according to Deputy Charles Radabaugh.
The fire started in or near the driver's purse. She reportedly uses a vape pen, according to Radabaugh.
"The vape pen uses a rechargeable lithium battery and when a malfunction occurs, it can be catastrophic." In this case, the car is a total loss, according to Radabaugh. There were no injuries.